We all want our babies to be happy and healthy, and- once they start eating solid foods- that means eating green. Green, in the sense that you want your babies to eat the best, freshest, and organic-est food you can get them, and “green” because fruits and vegetable that are literally green are filled with healthy vitamins and nutrients for baby.
As new mom Becky, found out, however, babies don’t always like what they’re being fed- no matter how good for them it is! This is what happened when she tried to introduce her son to green beans, in her own words:
The first time he tried green beans, my son made a hilariously upset face. Then he spit the whole thing out. We tried a few more bites this way, and he kept spitting out entire mouthfuls. This was the first time that he’s completely rejected a food, but rather than give up, I decided to keep at it. I made one little change, and now he eats his green beans with gusto. The change was: sweet potatoes.”
With the sweet potatoes mixed in, Becky’s baby is more than happy to eat his green vegetables. To help other moms get past the initial “shock” of veggies, she posted her process for making her homemade green baby food over on sustainable food blog Eat Drink Better– which we’ve shared with you, below. Enjoy!
Green Baby Food That Your Baby Will Love
Ingredients + Materials
- green beans
- small saucepan
- ice cube tray – Want to keep your baby food totally plastic free? Check out this stainless steel ice cube tray that a fellow EDB reader pointed us to!
- freezer bags or freezer-safe container
- Clean and snap the ends off of your beans.
- Boil green beans in enough water to just cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Let the beans cool, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the beans to your blender. Reserve the cooking liquid, and use this to thin out the mixture until it’s nice and smooth.
- Strain through a sieve or just pour the mixture into your ice cube trays.
- Freeze, then pop the cubes into a freezer bag or freezer-safe glass container.
To make the same 1:1 mixture Becky’s baby loved, pop 1 green bean cube and 1 sweet potato cube into a small mason jar or re-used glass baby food jar and let it defrost overnight in the fridge. By the next morning, your baby’s homemade green baby food should be thawed and ready to stir and serve!
Source | Photos: Eat Drink Better.